What are essential oils?
Essential oils are volatile (evaporate readily) liquids containing the “essence” of plants. They can be seen as the life force of the plant concentrated into the scent. Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans used essential oils in cosmetics, food preparation, and medicines.
These days’ essential oils are used for a wide variety of purposes, including aromatherapy, household cleaning products, and alternative medicine.
Why should I use essential oils?
Essential oils have been used for centuries to promote health and balance, and they’re now used for these purposes by thousands of people throughout the world.
Many people find that using essential oils helps them relax, concentrate or sleep better.
They may reduce stress and strengthen concentration.
Other people find they help heal physical wounds faster, alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.
Some people use them to prevent illness, while others use them to provide direct relief from a wide variety of conditions such as arthritis, headaches, and colds.
The oils work both when inhaled and when applied topically.
Inhalation of essential oils helps to reduce stress, relieve headaches and balance mood.
Application on the skin is a highly effective method of healing.
How to use essential oils?
– Add a few drops of oil onto your palms and rub them together.
– Start with one point on the body and proceed systematically, using gentle strokes up and down or side to side.
– Use light contact (do not touch the skin).
– Use one inhale a breath for every three exhales while massaging.
– Adopt a continual rhythm while massaging. Slow and steady movements create a sense of calmness.
How to use essential oils to scent a room?
To use essential oils to scent a room, you need to spread them around the room with a cotton pad or a diffuser. To use a cotton pad, open up a few drops of your favourite oil and put it on the cotton pad.
You then find an inconspicuous corner of the room and gently stroke the walls with it. To use a diffuser, you can add water and add up to 10 drops of essential oil. Place the diffuser in any corner of the room and switch it on for a few hours.
You can add essential oils to water in a spray bottle and spray onto furniture or other items. try these out
How to Use Essential Oils on Skin Safely?
When using essential oils on the skin, you want to ensure that you are using them safely. To do this, you need to know which essential oil is best for your skin type and that you are using the correct dilution.
This is because essential oils are very concentrated and can cause irritation or an allergic reaction if used directly on the skin.
You can use essential oils to avoid these issues by mixing them with a carrier oil. Carrier oils are also natural but less concentrated than essential oils, so they will not irritate the skin.
How and where to use essential oils?
– The most common way to use essential oils is by massaging them into the skin (e.g., on the back).
– You can also inhale them by adding a few drops to water or another liquid and inhaling the vapors.
– For a foot bath, add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of Epsom salt and five to 10 drops of essential oil.
– Mix with the bathwater by adding one to two tablespoons of oil for every cup (250 ml) of water.
– Add a few drops of oil to your pillow before sleeping.
– Some people like to put it on the neck, wrists, and temples.
– Diffuse it in the air by adding a few drops to an oil diffuser.
– Put a few drops in a spray bottle with water and use it as an air freshener, linen spray or insect repellent.
– Put it on a cotton ball and put the ball in an out-of-the-way place (e.g., inside a drawer).
– Add a few drops to your cleaning water and do the dusting.
– Use it as an ingredient in homemade household products such as dishwashing detergent, floor cleaners, and furniture polish.
How to store essential oils
Store them in a cool dark place, tightly closed and away from direct sunlight. Do not store them above 100°F (38°C) or below 40°F (5°C).
Alternatively, store them in a refrigerator.
Here are some general instructions on how to use them:
Most essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil before applying them to the skin. Use about five drops of oil for every teaspoon of carrier oil (e.g., olive or grapeseed oil).
Most essential oils should be used in small amounts. Generally, only 2 to 3 drops are needed for each application (e.g., in a bath, in a diffuser, or on a wet washcloth).
Apply the oil topically to the skin.
How are essential oils made?
Essential oils are the volatile, aromatic liquids found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants.
They’re what give plants their distinctive smells.
A unique combination of plant compounds and environmental conditions determine each essential oil’s quality.
The conditions include where the plant is grown, weather patterns, harvest time, and other variables.
Essential oils are made through a process called distillation.
Distillation involves using steam or water to separate the essential oil from a plant’s other compounds.
The oil is then collected and stored in a bottle.
The best essential oil carrier oils include:
Shea butter is also an excellent choice for anyone with dry skin.
Where can I buy essential oils?
There are many places to purchase essential oils.
You can find essential oils in general stores, pharmacies, and shops specializing in this product.
You can also purchase them online (e.g.,bathsalt.co.uk ), at specialty shops, through distributors, and at wellness clinics.